letter L a58 IMG_5590_2 Top and Bottom IMG_5617_4 letter E

Friday, July 2, 2010

Thing #16

Wikis

I knew more about wikis that I thought. I have used Wikipedia before and knew that you could add to it and change it, but was not aware that anyone could do this. I can see why this is not considered a reliable resource in a resource paper. I liked a lot of the ideas of how to use wikis in the classroom and personally. I have a friend that is working on a professional paper with some collegues and thought this would be the perfect way to all be able to work on it together! I don't think they have even considered it. My classes sometimes do class projects. This would be a perfect way to coordinate the project. They could even post it instead of turning in the project. Also, all of my classes could work together on an assignment using wikis.

Here are several ideas that I have for my class wiki:

  • Note taking on a particular subject where all of my students can share ideas
  • Research assignments where each student is assigned material to research and they use the information to create a project, paper or to get background knowledge on a novel we are reading in class.
  • Group projects after reading a novel: each student make a trading card for each character in a novel. Along with other group projects they can be added to a class wiki
  • Individual projects where students review novels that they have read and post them on the wiki for other students to read. I think I am going to do this for my summer reading project.

1 comment:

  1. Students can also collaborate the same way on Google Docs by sharing their document with others. This will come in handy since students will all have access to Google Docs this coming year.

    ReplyDelete